The Lady Den

Friday, November 18, 2005

I am a Puppy

posted by *meg d*:
Am I condescended to on a daily basis, or does it just seem that way? As each day passes, a resounding “YES” screams the answer to my question.

At my corporate job, which appears to pay nothing, I am treated more like a puppy than an actual person. I’m not saying that they “work me like a dog”, but that I do, in fact, get treated like a puppy. I receive the same benefits and punishments that a lovable five pound puppy would, if this puppy worked at a law firm. I am often spoken to only in a high pitched squeal. For example someone might say, “The binders look great, good job!” But the “good job” is said in a pitch to high for my human eardrums to register properly. I can only assume that they are saying “good job” by reading their lips. I am $60,000 in debt to a respectable university and I am complimented on my ability to use a three hole punch and then put these papers into a 3-ring binder. I am glad that my education is paying off.

I am far too often called “cute” at work. This is not in a “Your shoes are so cute!” kind of a way. I’ll perhaps, make a joke, and no one will laugh at what I consider to be my superior wit and humorous intellect, but instead a middle aged woman will turn to another middle aged woman and say, “She’s so cute!”. Almost anything I do or say will be classified as cute, just like a puppy.

I am also scolded like a puppy. As if explaining to a puppy why they should not have chewed up your favorite pair of slippers, it is explained to me why I should be more polite to Mr. Asshole Attorney, even though he was not polite to me. But then, my apology is always so cute and sincere that no one in the office can be mad at me for long. “Look at her sad face! It’s so cute!”

Right now, I am the office puppy. I am a novelty and very cute. It seems that everyone is thrown aback by the young college graduate who prances around the office in what they all consider to be “trendy” clothes and shoes. I recently died my hair from blonde to its more natural dark brown. This shocked many people around the office because I suddenly was more grown up and less “adorable” with mysterious dark hair. This is just the beginning. Pretty soon they may begin to realize that my jokes and giggling are filled with biting sarcasm and harsh judgments on their office lifestyles. It is only a matter of time until my cute mistakes, tardiness, and lack of thoroughness are no longer read as “sweet” but instead as my own personal commentary on my job and the people who work here.

If this is the case, I better relish in my days of being the office puppy. My days are numbered. I have to get out before I turn into the office dog that is beat daily with a rolled up newspaper and chained up to the coffee maker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home