The Lady Den

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Kids' Korner II: Arts and Crafts

I've spent the last two weeks teaching animals to my students. I will die happily if I never hear the godforsaken song 'Old MacDonald' again. Besides being repeatedly questioned whether Old MacDonald was in fact related to the well-known fast food chain ('No, he's an organic farmer--an old man, really') and if the duck and chicken pictured in Old MacDo's farm were infected with the grippe aviare ('No, they were immunized, and it hasn't reached the U.S. yet'), some good did come out of the lesson plan.

During one wildly popular assignment, I had the kids draw 'monsters,' hybrids of two animals they selected from an envelope containing 'horse,' 'cow,' 'sheep,' 'duck,' and 'chicken.' These four examples came from my favorite class of 9-10 yr. olds. See if you can guess which animals they blended, and notice their monsters' creative names.
--an educator





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home